Today we had our 4 month checkup and it wasn't a good day for us. Of course, we knew there would be vaccinations and i was prepared for that. What i wasn't prepared for is for the doctor to tell me the boys aren't growing well and she wants me to start supplementing with formula. Just when i thought me and the boys were in a good rhythm, i now have to go back and figure out how to get them to take the bottle again. (I believe I had posted about our bottle troubles a while back... well, they didn't get better so i gave up. i guess i'm not allowed to give up now...) She's especially worried about Ari, my little baby, but said that Saro isn't growing in height or head circumference much either (though he looks like a fatty to me!!).
So here are the stats...
Saro
weight: 5.98 kg (13lbs, 3oz -17th percentile)
height: 62.5cm (38th percentile) (~24.6 inches)
head circumference: 39cm (1st percentile!) (~15.4 inches)
Ari
weight: 5.43kg (12lbs - 4th percentile!)
height: 58cm (1st percentile!!) (~22.8 inches)
head circumference: 38cm (0 percentile!!!) (~15 inches)
I'm worried sick now. Anyway, so i started trying to supplement after feeds today. Saro refused all 3 times that i tried. Ari has been complying and doing ok. Not sure what i'm going to do about Saro...
We have a follow-up in 2 weeks. She hopes to see a difference by then.
signing off...
arda


3 comments:
i know how worrying it can be... jacob at one point wasn't even on the chart for his weight... he was in the negative percentile... at his last check-up he was only in the third percentile... it's been a constant struggle with his weight... we went through a lot of tests... after nothing showing up wrong... the doctor finally said that he was just going to be a small guy... try not to worry too much... the boys are healthy... active... that's a good sign there... and look at you and mike... you're both small people... it could be just in their genes...
good luck with everything...
josee
I can understand your concern as parents, but I'm sure they will both gradually come around. Everytime I have the pleasure of visiting and seeing the boys, I notice a big difference in their growth. They appear to be getting stronger in that they can hold up their heads on their own for longer periods, and their legs have a lot more strength. I'm sure in a few months when there are no issues, we'll all be looking back on this as a minor bump in the road.
Chris
thanks jo & chris for your support!
Post a Comment